Friday, January 14, 2011

Tri Stories: She’s no SWIMMER!

Tri Stories: She’s no SWIMMER!


You want me to do what!?


Oh, yes she is!! (throwing up the peace sign) Today was INCREDIBLE! I awoke ready to get in the pool, I let go of all attachment to the training as I sit in meditation, then move into some back bending asanas to help create openness in the heart & chest, followed by shoulder stretches, a short savasana… then I head out to teach my first class. I packed my gym bag last night so I would be sure not to forget anything……Leaving my first class I run into the fitness director and she was excited to find out I was in training for the tri,….she trained a group of athletes for a previous tri and has participated in a few herself……I love talking to people that have been down this rode…..she offered up some great training tips and mentioned she was going to dig up some of her old training plans for me!! Like everyone that I’ve mentioned my training to, she said “you’ll do great!” and added “if you train correctly, you will have fun!” its great to see and feel the enthusiasm in peoples faces & words as they talk to me about training, its like a instant bond and support, from like minded peeps (inspiring)…..I grab something light to eat before my noon class, I was feeling good and honestly was not thinking about the swim until I reached the gym….So to mellow myself I head into the studio crank my Ipod and the heat, then I move back into my backbends (Urdva Danurasana), I love this pose, whenever I’m feeling heavy in the heart or like I’m holding on to negative thoughts and emotions, I move into this pose and hold for 4-8 breaths, sometimes this leads to a very emotional release as I exit the pose other times like today it gave me a non emotional but a letting go sensation….like, my heart is open and content ready for what ever was to come (I love that feeling!). Just another benefit of yoga….no drugs needed ….just a yoga mat, breath, and the willingness to let go and be in the moment…Ahhh, I tell ya, YOGA…the NEW PROZAC! (y’all better come get some!)

Urdva Danurasana with variation




After my noon class, I meet with John for his first private yoga class…..then we head to the pool. In the locker room as I changed in to my swimsuit, I found myself rushing like a kid, all excited and giddy about getting in the water…..I pulled out my brand new pink goggles (yea, I said pink ), my new Speedo swim cap and my Ralph Lauren bathing suit that I purchased a few years back but never wore…..I tell ya I was feeling soooo giddy. I met John in the pool and we get started…..I really enjoyed Johns training style, as he says “we have plenty of time” so there will be no rushing…..I move into some push offs and kicking drills, then I practice my face in the water blowing bubbles and last I add the head turns….AWESOME! John has been a trainer, swimmer & competitor since childhood and it shows. I felt really comfortable with his instructions and not once did fear sneak up on me…..I actually had FUN! We kept it short and sweet today as he wanted to see where I was in my swimming experience….I was feeling wonderful when John said “that was good” after I did the kick of and swim….good, swimming and ME all in the same sentence…..Yayyy!! I finished things up today by chillin’ in the steam room for 20 minutes with a big ol’ smile on my face and in my heart……PURFECT first day in the pool!



Look mom I'm swimming!

I’m a true believer that people come into your life when you need them (GOD sent) and the very first night I met John (in my yoga class), we spoke of bartering yoga for swim lessons (blessings)…..I love when life works out that way, I was not in search but I did put the need out to the universe, and the universe sent me John and in turn sent me to John…….I’m soooo looking forward to my next lesson, and warned John that he will be seeing my happy dance often (Yes, I did the happy dance today!) Such a WONDERFUL day! I’m floating right now and I LOVE this feeling! I’m loving this tri training journey, and what ever emotions it brings….To top off such a awesome day, I’m heading out for sushi tonight with a dear friend I’ve not seen in a while at my favorite sushi joint! Life is GOOD……



I’M A SWIMMER Y’ALL!!!

I got this!!




Peace,

T




"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
 ~Paulo Coelho ( The Alchemist )

No comments: