Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tri Stories: Grease is the word…..


Tri Stories: Grease is the word…..



I needed some....
 







Grease, grease everywhere!! Now I don’t mind getting sweaty, not at all….but GREASE, Nawwww, not a fan at all!


Yesterday I stopped by the grocery store, I lock and unlock my bike without incident…….Once in the bike room, I cannot unlock my lock, I’d stay in the bike room for 30 minutes trying to unlock the darn thing!! It’s one of those U Locks, they really don’t budge when stuck…….I never bring the bike into my place, it’s all greasy and I don’t wanna bring all that city energy into my place of peace, I need to leave as much of outside that I can......outside……ya know. Well, the powers that be decided I would be bringing my bike INSIDE! Uggghhhh, I stand there for a few once I realize I'm  out of options, being that yesterday was a holiday the bike shop closed at 6:00 pm, I took a look at my phone it reads 17:57 pm…..of course…..DEEP breath……Oh, my groceries were in the red basket and hit the cement hard as my bike fell over, YUP, in that dirty bike room…..still DEEP breathing……The chain just misses cutting me deep, instead it leaves a nice long GREASE patch on my leg……INHALE……EXHALE…..I pick up my bike & my groceries, then I stand there for a moment, like something magical was gonna happen…..Arrrrgggghhh!! I’m not gonna get into details, but it’s a nice walk from the bike room to my place, and along the way my legs got smeared with more grease, my bike chain came off, I stopped to put it back on, more grease, fingers, wrist……..By the time I put the key in the front door my palms, right shoulder, both cheeks & key’s were covered in GREASE!! I’m NOT happy, I leave two grease finger prints on my front door as I maneuver the bike in, trying to keep it and my groceries from falling. I’m gonna chuck this experience up as BAD BIKE KARMA….Lol…..Ya see, my bike was DIRTY!! I mean bike shop workers have commented on how much grease was on the bike....ooops....now I take care of my bike in every other way, but I really don’t like getting’ all greasy! I dunno, I’ve been this way since I was a kid……Anything, but grease…..so no car work, no tire changes, no bike repairs…..NOPE, people who enjoy it get paid to do that stuff…Lol, but I'm VERY serious. I’m far from a fix it person, but I’ll pay for the right person to fix it……Anywhoo, back in March I decided I was going to clean my bike……Really! I purchased some grease remover, stuff the bike repair dude recommended, I was siked, but not siked enough to do it…..Lol…..I immediately reach for the cleaner once my bike is settled in my place, I grab some old towels and proceed to clean my bike! The grease remover was DA BOMB! I spray it melted away, not sure how healthy that is…..but, er, um, I didn’t care.  I was already covered in grease and for sure, there is no way I'm  going to do this at another time, so "no time like the present" I say out loud, 20 minutes later I’m greasier than my bike, but my bike was finally clean!! “I’m going to the bike shop tomorrow!” is what I say to myself once I’m clean and degreased.


My ride

After my AWESOME 19 mile bike ride yesterday, I was feelin’ very good today…..The sun was shining and temps already in the 70’s at 08:00 am, I decide to swim & bike today…….I’m proud to say I wore my spin shoes today on my outdoor bike!! Yayyyy, it was super easy to clip and unclip, I love these shoes, they make a huge difference in my ride and the health of my knees. I enter the gym change into my swim gear and hit the pool……at first I was a little nervous, I mean it’s been two weeks……and it’s not like swimming is my strong suit……I hop in, move right into some kick drills, “ok, ok….not bad” I think to myself as I kick along……two laps of kicks. My intention was to swim 12 laps today, so 12 laps I swam……….I was working on two things……breath, and turn around time. I’ve been mindfully aware of how long I stay under before coming up for a breath……I worked on taking it from 8 to 4 breaths.……I manage accomplish that quickly, and actually found I was able to touch and turn ( in less than 2 seconds) at least four out of the twelve laps……not bad! I did swim breast stroke quite a bit though….I’m not sure how I feel about that, I mean…..I know I’m gonna breast stroke at some point during the tri……but I don’t wanna take that as a given……I’m working towards NOT using the breast stroke at all during the tri……….I dunno…see, clearly I’m off balance with this one……….I swim the last four laps without pool boy….the truth is, I could’ve swam at least eight out of twelve laps without it....but….I doubted myself, and my swimming abilities…….Uggghhh…..Well, it starts with awarness….Right!?! Next time I’m in the pool, I’m going to start off WITHOUT pool boy…..yea, that’s what I’mma do…….Gotta start letting’ go of that attachment…….to many attachments can wear ya DOWN!! Nope, no room for attachments, gotta keep it movin’……..build some confidence in that water, make peace with it……SWIM! All in all the swim was uneventful, I felt pretty good after, not great, just good……I set a goal and I accomplished it, I feel a bit behind with swimming.....sigh....but, I’m not gonna focus on that, I'm going to work towards improving, no time for doubt….It’s June….GULP……..August is right around the corner.....I’m going to attend the swim class Antoine suggested to me, on Thursday, just check it out, with hopes to add it in my routine.......my plan is to add a third swim day in the week…..Gotta increase my pool time!! Repitition & Focused Dedication =Results
No worries, I GOT THIS.......



After my swim, I hit the shower, steam room, and shower again….WHY, you may wonder…..Well....I condition my hair before I get in the pool ( treatment), then I rinse and recondition (detangle )for the steam bath, then I leave in conditioner (moisture) after last shower……RESPECT THE BODY, HAIR included!! Swimming can wreak havoc on ya hair......I leave the gym and head to the bike store…….There is a back story to this U lock…..I had the same lock a year ago, and the same thing happened, the same bike store replaced the lock, no charge. I enter the store, explain my situation to dude, adding in “the same thing happened less than a year ago“……Honestly…..dude did not appear surprised ( just like dude from last time ), he makes several attempts to unlock it, then heads to the back, re appears with a brand new lock still in the package……Clearly someone somewhere slept on a batch of making these locks, this company usually puts out top of the line products, I’ve never had a problems with any other items…..It’s nice to have a new lock though! CLEAN bike, NEW lock, AND No GREASE = EPIC WIN!!
Peace, Love & Swim
Y'all





Peace,

T







No comments: