Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tri Stories: Taking it to the streets!!

Tri Stories: Taking it to the streets!!


My ride on the lake front


Woooooowwwwww…….OK, I awoke this morning with Dobbie Brothers *Takin’ It To The Streets” hook in my head…….YUP, I said Dobbie Brothers….I took it as a sign, so today my training was taking place outdoors! I slept in, I was up a 08:00 wanting give myself plenty of time to ride....I sat in a short meditation (too short) and moved into my yoga practice which included Eka Pada Rajakapotasana variations, (pigeon), Trikonasana variations (triangle), Uttanasana variations (forward fold ), Utthita Parsvakonasans (side angle) Alanasana (lunge) Upavistha Konasana variations (wide angle) Jathara Parivartanasana (spinal twist), and a few more…..Packed my bag, hoped in the shower, and I’m out!! The sun was shinning bright and the temps were climbing nicely, 53 degrees as I peddled towards the lake…..I checked weather underground before leaving, it mentioned the winds were at 35mph SSW, so I head south (I like to get the wind out of the way first)…..WELL, let me tell ya, sista was NOT ready for 35mph winds! WHEW! Those winds came at me like, SURPRISE! I knew right away I had to hunker down and peddle…..On the real, I wanted to turn around and say BUMP this....it's too windy..... I sure did, but I knew I needed to get my training in for the day, also I don't like making excuses to quit.......that's the easy way out......The easy way out slows down growth......I'm growing......no room for excuses and easy way out.....NO ROOM AT ALL.....I was to far away to make it to Julies spin class on time, soooo…..I mutter to myself “let’s just get this done”  I peddle.   I'm dressed in layers so I was cool temp wise, but that wind, oooooohhhh, that wind on the lake front was rippin’ through me!!! I popped my Ipod on just as I entered onto the lake path, searching for some inspiration……

Yogatone gettin' it in on the lake front



I needed some Ol’ Skool RAP!! (mixed with a little new school) Craig Mack immediately begin kickin’ ~Flava In *my* Ear~, and as that intro hook started up, I fell into a nice battle with the wind, Method Man & Mary J followed Craig , with *I’ll Be There for You/You’re All I Need* at this point I’m grooving and peddling and of course SINGING (wind or no wind I SANG) at the top of my lungs……I was lovin’ the peace on the lake front......I see dedicated walkers and runners getting’ it in as I whizzed by, other bikers that were passing me heading north, we share quick passing smiles,……LOVESIT!! There is something so free about riding on the lake front EARLY before it gets to crowded…….I keep peddling a few more songs and the wind gust pick up…..GEESH!!! I let that wind gust interrupt my inner peace again.....Uuuggghhh!! Jay-Z was helping me out a bit with *I just wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me), I was tryin’ to let go but the wind was picking up…..”I’m turnin’’ around” I say to myself......I don’t.... instead I bargain with myself “15 miles today, that’s it 15 miles” I mutter ( I wanted to do more)…..I really wanted to stop and grab a drink of water, but I knew if I stopped I was turning around, so I bargain within’ a little more…”7.5 miles south”, “stop, drink, then head north for 7.5 miles“…..OK, that was my new plan, so  I reach in my pocket for my Ipod and hit shuffle as Geto Boys were finishing up *My Mind Playin’ Tricks On Me*……..I sing along with a few other songs, at the 6 mile point Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg kicks in with *The Next Episode”!! I was singing again and as Nate Dogg sang his verse I changed up the lyrics just a bit…..It went a little something like this;



YUP!
Hold up, heyyyyyyyy
Yogatones stop peddlin’ soft
just don't, caaaare

Ya gotta peddle til the wheels fall off



Lol…..I swear, I was grasping for ANY inspiration…..and Nate Dogg brought it….Lol….it’s those silly little moments I have within that keep me going!! RIP Nate Dog……Thanks for the inspiration!
I hit that 7.5 mile and turn around WITHOUT stopping for water, instead I reach back for my water bottle and drink as I peddle.....don’t know I was feelin’ really good now……I head north towards my class singing a song, feeling STRONG & AWESOME!!




Yogatones

I arrive at my location with more than enough time to have a lite snack (green apple and granola) refresh and change into my teaching gear……After my noon class I proceed to Hula Hoop for 90 minutes!! I really like this bike and hula combo, my core was on FIYYYYYAAA! I’ve been practicing tricks and becoming one with the hula hoop, I slowed things down a bit with the hoop allowing my self to feel what’s going on instead of thinking about it, so as I reach to bring the hoop up and over my head, it’s not with force but with ease……….Just like anything else in life, if you go after it with to much aggression, you more than likely will loose out, but going after anything with a balanced amount of peace and aggression, usually produces positive results....well.... for me it always works out best that way! Along the way  I peeped a few spots I’m going to stop at and practice my hula hooping skills during the summer, nice peaceful grassy areas on the lake, without to much traffic……ARE YA READY FOR THE SUMMER?! I am!






I Love Summer in Chi-City
I took this picture!

Arriving  home this evening I sat for a NICE meditation and moved through a few more asanas, to help balance out that 15 mile bike ride……I can’t wait to get my mileage back up, I don’t’ consider today a *long ride*, it was a training ride…….My long rides are usually 40-60 miles in a day, that’s what I was up to the last few years, so 15 is really just the kick off……..I LOVE BIKING! Especially out in open space without to many peeps, a few challenging hills and Mother Natures beauty of trees, flowers, sun, rain showers, heat, humidity……Ahhhhhh, I could go on and on……




Peace,

T





Peace Y'all

No comments: