Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tri Stories: Now that’s SPINNING!


 Half Moon pose (Ardha Chandrasana)
 Tri Stories: Now that’s SPINNING!

FABulous training day!!! Tuesdays have become my short and sweet training day’s………I kick things off with a very NICE home practice this morning….After meditation and a few sun salutations, I mixed things up a bit listening to what my body requested, some of the asanas in my practice day……..Chair pose (Utkatasana), Cobra (Bhujangasana), Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana) Bridge (Setu Banda Sarvangasa), and Wheel (Urdva Dhanurasana ), Knee to chest (Apanasana), Plow pose (halasana) Half Moon pose (Ardha Chandrasana)…….This is what I call listening to the body, I had no sequence in mind…….I was very aware that I was going to ride my bike and spin today , I felt open in the legs, knees and hamstrings from all the work I did yesterday, so I let go and let the body, mind and spirit move…….ILIKETHAT!!……ILIKEALOT!!


 Wheel (Urdva Dhanurasana ),

Ready to head out to the gym for my spin class, I hop on my bike and peddle over….I’m still gushing over the fact that it’s riding weather…..nothing better than getting where I need to be at my pace and without, sitting or standing next to someone who decided not to bathe…..Lol…..Don’t get me wrong I’m all about using CTA, all about it, but it is not my first choice of transportation…..my bike is first, then CTA and last is driving……I DON’T like driving, turns me into the ugliest person I know….Lol!! Seriously, I was always screaming at someone who could not hear me, or flipping the bird to folks (dead wrong) or anticipating someone was going to cut me off and speeding up so they could not get in or pass me…..WoW, I’m a little embarrassed to write that….but that’s what driving had come to for me….Lol…..Blood Pressure up, attitude stinky, and a frown plastered  on my face…..NOT A GOOD LOOK….on ANYONE! Something had to give, I did not like that ME…..I’ve turned my FROWN UPSIDEDOWN and I peddle along singing to the top of my lungs, talking to other bikers at red lights…..and occasionally flipping the bird at CAB DRIVERS….Heyyyy….I’m human and the cabbies HATE BIKERS (it‘s kind of scary just how much), non cabbies dislike us as well, but  I tend to give them folks a break.......No flipping the bird because some of these peeps will try and run you off the road, or literally chase you down (I’ve seen it happen). The cabbies tend not to use those extremes to chase you, they just knock you off the first opportunity they get, if not you….Oh well, on to the next one! Cabbies really have no regards for bikers or other drivers…..NONE!
Get yo Yoga ON Y'all!

I was looking forward to spin today, and was really HAPPY to see DeWitt standing in front of class….Yayyyy!! “We gonna WORK IT TODAY” I thought to myself…..The class was full and I saw many of the regulars in there….ENERGY was POPPIN’ I’m telling you a teachers energy, teaching, and personality makes a class……I like to learn when I take ANY TYPE of class…..math, art, spinning, yoga……TEACH ME!! DeWitt was a bit under the weather and was not able to ride with us, but that did not stop him from teaching us…….serving us up with his drill sergeant style commands…..LOVESIT! Coming around giving individual adjustments and encouraging words……I have completely improved on my standing runs and I feel good about that….and like any student, I love the positive feed back!! That’s the type of teaching that keeps me coming back for more, I love a challenge, make me work just a bit harder than last time……I know my regular students always get a little bit more of a push from me than newbie’s, especially the ones that I’ve become familiar with their bodies, strengths and weaknesses……..Last evening I took my class in to half moon and added some variations, the final variation was to lift the foundation hand off the floor and wrap it around the ankle of the foundation leg….not easy, actually very challenging, it takes core strength, breath awareness, balance and non attachment. I immediately move to assist and guide two of my regulars students who I could see and feel hesitation from into the pose, using encouraging words and the soft touch of my hand to let them know I GOT YOU…..both moved with ease into the pose using their beautiful breath and letting go of the mind chatter………LOVEIT! As a teacher you MUST give a student what they came for, it’s up to you as a teacher to take time and get to know your students and their abilities……I know I look for that in my teachers, it boost my confidence and helps me to become a stronger me!! That’s why I love Dewitt’s classes, he may come off as hard arse, but you know he has your best interest at heart and wants to see you grow!! Now that’s TEACHING!!


 Wheel (Urdva Dhanurasana)


I leave class feeling GREAT!! Smiling as I enter the steam bath, I lay in there for 20 minutes COLD CHILLIN!! I will say it again a good teacher is one who TEACHES from a place of CREATIVITY and from the HEART, that’s how I teach and that’s my expectation from my teachers!!









Day off tomorrow, but I’m gonna get my Hula Hoop on! Practicing my tricks and going over my sequence for next weeks kick off class……I can’t wait!!

Peace & Yogatones!










Peace,
T

No comments: