Monday, March 21, 2011

Tri Stories: Happy Spring!!

 
 

Spring in Chi-City...Oh, YEA!

Tri Stories: Happy Spring!!



Oh my FAVORITE season has arrived!!! I was up at 05:45 sat for meditation, then off to teach my 07:00 class,. I love that I’m able to hop on my bike and peddle on over instead of waiting for the bus……absolutely love it!! It rained last night so there was a damp chill in the air as the fog began to lift. The morning breeze felt good on my skin…..I dress in layers these days and knew I’d be pulling of some of these clothes in a few hours.



After my class I move into my personal practice, sun salutations followed by back bends, twist, standing asanas, I also worked on my core and inversions….I’ve definitely noticed the increase in core strength, my inversions are stronger and I’m able to stay in Pincha Mayurasana (forearm balance) and Adho Mukha Vrksasana (handstand) for many more breaths…….ILIKETHAT!! I’ve worked on holding my handstands for sometime now, and it feels good to notice the new strength and awareness I’ve created within…….I also incorporate king pigeon and standing balancing asanas into the mix. Today’s practice was simply beautiful, I was feeling strong and ready for my training that was to come!!

King Pigeon




Adho Mukha Vrksasana
(Handstand)

First up my swim……I never have ill thoughts about getting into the water, I actually look forward to it…… I get in  the pool and immediately began my kicking exercises, legs were strong, I noticed I was putting wayyyyy to much energy into my swim practice, so I gently remind myself to chill just a bit…….I then move into my lap work, I’m really working on endurance in the pool, trying not to take so many breaks……I could tell I was attaching to the thoughts of less breaks, as my first to laps were real messy.....I was forcing myself a bit to much and ended up getting internally frustrated.....I ended up swallowing a large amount of water and went into a full blown coughing fit…..Ughhhh, DARN IT!!! I was letting my EGO lead my practice…..I kept glancing at the other SWIMMERS (all lanes were taken, I was in the first), I spot several familiar faces, everyone seemed to be killin’ it and here I was CHOKING…….I DON’T LIKE THAT!!! I started to come down HARD on myself…..”come on Tone”, I say, “there is no stopping in Lake Michigan” Grrrrrr…..I check the others out a bit longer…..”you better stop watching others and get it crackin‘” I say to myself……sigh….I stop close my eyes and take some long deep breaths……inhale……exhale…….inhale…..exhale…….I make peace with myself and commit to making peace with my swim and the water, I focus on ME, my lane, MY stroke and MY breath…..I make peace with the process and embrace this part of my journey……I let go of all the forced energy behind each stroke, I slow down my rapid kicks, and become one with my practice!! I swim the next four laps with grace and ease no expectations, no attachment……I swim from 3ft-4ft 6in without a break, at the 5ft mark I take a 30 second break, inhale deeply and head back…..I swim from 5ft-3ft.5inches without a break!!!!!! I could not believe it when I came up, I did the next three laps pretty much the same……I know better than forcing anything to happen, not only in my training but in LIFE……Force usually leads to negative results, versus letting life and situations play out as they should……I needed this reminder today for many reasons, how ironic I received it in the pool…….One can not force life to happen!! BUT one can live your best life, by allowing your hearts desires to play out with intention, awareness and peace……for ME that’s when all I vision for myself comes to life!! I dip in the hot tube for a few before heading off to change for spin class……

Pincha Mayurasana (Forearm balance)





Heather was not there today (I miss her), DeWitt was subbing, the class was INTENSE!! OMG, I was fooled last week by the sub, and this bike, run swim, was a breeze…..Today, ooowwweeee! My entire body was like WHAT!? I was going to get it done, so as we began with the spin, I shook off the fatigue and transitioned into the ride, I was SWEATING…….I mean SWEATING!! My hair was already wet from the pool & shower, dripping a mixture of conditioner and sweat ( I always drench my hair with conditioner before and after swimming….gottatakecareofnaturalhair)….Ewwwww!! At least it smelled nice….Lol….I was sweating so much my hands kept sliding off the handle bars, I pulled myself together and hung tight with the ride……It was NICE!!! I could feel my legs getting stronger, I always feel so YEAH!! (think Hulk Hogan) When I exercise, its like this surge of strength, energy and confidence push me deeper into whatever it is I’m doing……ILOVETHAT!! YUMMMM……When my mind, body and spirit join together like that, pushing me forward…….Oh man, it’s the BEST natural high EVER……LOVEIT!!! After spinning I’m ready to RUN!




Gettin' that core work done in Salamba Sirsasana
headstand. variation

I grab three towels…..one to cover the screen and another to cover the time, distance & mileage on the treadmill, third to towel off……I waste no time, I hop on and begin running……OK, I was ego trippin’ a bit today….Lol….Ya see there is a woman who I see often in spin class, well today we were in the pool at the same time (she can swim….WELL), then we both were in the spin class (we both spin GREAT), now…….here ol’ girl is on the treadmill……NEXT TO ME…..Uggghhhh! I don’t wanna ego trip, but I made up my mind when we both stepped on (at the same time), that she was NOT going to out run me….Lol…HEYYYYY I’m human and I really needed the challenge for inspiration…..She takes off full blown running…..“Oh, OK“, I think to myself…..Ya wanna run?! LET”S GO!!! If there is one thing I can say about my running, I have EXCELLENT form (yoga), and I’m SMOOTH, thumbs up, shoulders back, core engaged…..I’m whatcha’ call a cool ARSE runner….Lol….really, many have commented on my form and I know it’s tight, so I catch up to chicky and we run……Now we both are sweating like pigs, besides the (it’s on) smile we shared when we began, we never looked at each other again, but you could feel us both ego trippin’ just a bit….Lol……I planned on running until my body said stop. About 12 minutes into the run she began gulping water and reaching for the side rails….WHAaaaaTTT!?! I was just getting’ in my zone…..3 minutes later she came to a complete stop….tee-hee…..I keep running!! I ran for 41 minutes!!! I was in a zone, my body, mind and spirit were one with my breath….. once she was gone I put the ego to rest, and GOT IT IN’ on that treadmill!! I end my run with a nice cool down as I watch my heart rate drop (nice),  I‘m feeling so good, strong and accomplished as I stand there….I was HIGH…..I mean HIGH!! Gosh, I love this training, its building my confidence in ways I could have never imagined…..I’m LOVIN’ the way my physical, mental and spiritual body is growing & changing….pretty darn AWESOME!!



Of course I get my steam bath in, I think I dozed off in there……I awoke feeling so relaxed and rejuvenated, not tired or achy……YUMMM!! I get dress hop on my bike and peddle home!!
Peace, Love & Balance Y'all
That's what lifes about



Peace,

T


No comments: