Monday, February 21, 2011

Tri Stories: Run



Tri Stories: Run



RUN Yogatones......RUN!

I decided to run today………….I usually take a spin class on Monday’s but Heather is off the next two weeks, so I’m going to mix it up a bit. Up at 05:45 sit in meditation for a bit then I head out to teach my 07:00 class………After class I move through my personal practice……My knees are NOT happy today, I walk for a bit trying to warm the knees up, no luck, especially with the left knee…..uuugggghhhh! I start picking up the pace into a soft run, I fumble with the placement of my foot on the belt…….I pick up the pace a bit more, at this point I’m wondering if this calling from my knee will subside, or will I have to pass on the run today……Uuugggghhhh! I keep running……FINALLY about 8 minutes in things shift and my knee stops calling out my name. I keep running, I have my Ipod hooked up and ready to go, instead I run without music today. Running with no tunes is something I did not think was possible for me….Lol…..I became so distracted with my knees that once I began to run I never thought about the music........I reached my comfort pace, then zoned out and ran……. I played around with my speed today, increasing and decreasing, paying attention to my stride and form……..60 minutes later I slowed to a walk cooling down, smiling at myself within, as I towel off, taking large gulps of water……Whenever I finish running I feel a great since of accomplishment and pride within, running is one of those things that I really don’t look forward to…..I mean......I make the best of it and I feel great after……..but really, I have no desire to run.....not like the desire I have to spin or swim. I’m learning a lot about self discipline with this tri training, it’s usually mind over matter that keeps us comfortably away from what makes us uncomfortable……I notice that in life in many aspects of my life, but this training is making the picture very clear for me. I don’t enjoy running so I’ve been mentally talking myself  in and out of EVERY RUN (even the really good ones)! I was ready to call it quits today as soon as my knee starting talking…….Really…..I was going to stop and use the knee as my excuse, but then I thought I’d only be cheating myself, and if I use this as my way out of my run today, chances are I will use it again, and again as a justifiable excuse!
YUP!


“I’m stronger than that“, I say to myself……”no easy outs” I mumble within…….NOT ONLY my mind, but my body and soul will guide me in unison through this triathlon! Run, Bike, Swim, with awareness, respect and peace for the process…..I know it’s human to have day’s that you wanna throw in the towel, but I have to far to go.... throwing in the towel or finding excuses this early in the process.....not a option…….maybe in July, but NOT February! I finish up my run feeling all brand new, like I never had doubts about the run today…… I finish strong and proud!


Feet don't fail me now......

I was so attached to the negativity of running, that I almost gave in to excuses.....when I trained for the marathon, excuses and throwing in the towel for the day happened all to often……I made any reason, a good reason not to train, not to eat right, not to listen to what my body needed and desired…….I  did what ever I decided to be right……in the end.....I found out the hard way, that  being detached from myself ( inner & outer self) left me lazy, uncommitted, full of excuses and injured often…..which ultimately rewarded me with a 5 hour 39 minute marathon completion time (uggh), numerous injuries, and a FULL YEAR to heal!!! I WILL NOT put my body through that disrespect and abuse ever again……..Self respect.....honesty......honoring my entire self, is making this training so much more than, running....biking........swimming…….soooo much more!!



After the run, I of course head into the steam bath.....I lay there with the corners of my mouth turned upward as my eyelids become heavy, I deeply inhale and exhale the stimulating smell of eucalyptus, feeling confidant and strong in that moment…….”I got this” I say to myself……”I GOT THIS”

Peace,
T


Peace
 

No comments: