Friday, February 11, 2011

Tri Stories-Chocolate & Wine

Tri Stories-Chocolate & Wine






Another week of training coming  to a close……The temps are back into double digits here in Chi-City!! I was able to switch back into my shorter winter coat , the forecast is calling for a mini heat wave here by mid week…….I was up and on the move this morning, I had a great deal of energy today. I moved through my personal practice with my run in mind, starting with sun salutations, then moving into holding several asanas…..bridge pose (Setu banda Sarvangasa), Chair pose (Utkatasana), cobra (Bhujangasana), cow face (Gomukhasana) as well as Chaturanga dandasana first & second variations and rounded things up with plank pose push ups…I wanted to build some strength as well as open the upper body, I constantly work on my form while running, a strong core and strong upper body helps with my overall alignment and arm movement while running……. I always move into pigeon pose, today I also added low & high lung variations, then  closed things out with my continuous work on my dancing warrior (natarajasana), I’m begining to  love this pose! I add a forward fold variation to really lengthen the hamstrings and stretch the inner groins…..my inversion for the day was hand stand, I’ve been working on holding this pose for time…..this takes lot’s of breath awarness and core strength, I use it as a form of meditation as I hold the pose……Finally I move into a nice lotus variation (core work)before my final resting pose…..



Yes!



After my practice I move into my run, I begin slowly…..I’ve noticed this week that my knees have been feeling great! I know all of the spinning has helped, my entire body really enjoys spinning, its low impact on the knees allows me to build strong quadriceps, hamstring and calf muscles!! Today I run for 60 minutes straight, I’m loving my new running play list (see previous post) it takes me through he entire 60 minutes….I began to feel fatigue set in around that 55 minute mark, I was drenched in sweat and feeling amazing as the treadmill moved into the five minute cool down at the end of my run……..I must admit I’m still amazed that I’m able to run 60 minutes straight...I also noticed that I was just shy of five miles!!!! I began my run with people on either side of me and I was the last one standing! I could tell the young lady to my right was trying to hang in there, at one point she glanced over at me like DAYUM!! She was running good for about 30 minutes and then began to start and stop, holding on and letting go, I could see her out of my side view…..I kind of like when people wipe out next to me…..Not because I feel victorious, but because it gives me motivation to keep going…..I say to myself “keep it movin’, keep it movin”....don’t stop, breath, and run, run and breath” I could feel her fatigue but I would not allow myself to get caught up in it…….next up was another young lady on my left…….she was just playing on the treadmill, barley running, walking supper fast, hopping off running to the water fountain, then hopping back on the treadmill, barley running……this lasted about 15 minutes before she hoped of for the final time. I don’t judge where others are in their work out (because we all have different goals), but I’ve learned how to use each and every person I run or bike next to as inspiration to keep going…..I picture us in a race and its my goal to win the race period!! I need this type of mental inspiration…..running for a hour straight ain’t no joke! I thought about running longer, but I notice that my knees are just getting comfortable with this time…..I think I’ll wait another week or so before I increase the time, as I really don’t want to create a injury, that will most  definitely slow down my training. I’m gently reminded of this goal each time my ego begins to creep up, like today when I cranked up the speed for five minutes…..my left knee let out a big ol’ “Whoa, slow down chicky” I turn it back down! I’m looking forward to warmer weather so I can take my running outdoors!! I cool down towel off and head into the yoga studio to stretch and meditate a bit before my noon class.


YES!


I really love teaching, it’s what I’m supposed to be doing……I get to combine my two life passions nursing and yoga, bringing together a unique style of yoga *Yogatones* I ask students about any injuries before class…I call that my initial assessment, then I build onto my sequence mindfully addressing any areas of concern for each student, that’s my nursing care in full affect, I hands on adjust EVERY student in my classes at least twice, and I continuously use verbal adjustment to help the student establish a deeper relationship with their internal selves………I love, love, love what I do!! I have a wonderful couple that come to my Friday morning class regularly……Today the wife say’s to me, “I can see you working in a ER (emergency room), I laugh out loud and tell her I was a ER nurse!! She laughed so hard, and said, “you have that way about you”,  “gentle no nonsense, drill sergeant approach” Lol….I laugh……I admit I’m such a stickler for alignment……because I’ve created numerous injuries in my early yoga day’s because not much awarness was place on alignment!! I have remained injury free for the past four years, and have deepened my personal practice as a result of focusing on proper alignment. I say to my students “I know I can come off harsh at times, but it’s all love” and their response “I know, and that’s why I come back”……the majority of my students are type A personalities……doctors, lawyers, professors, principles, marketers, directors & producers…..people with intense jobs, and they come to my class to be guided in and out of poses with direct and distinct guidance with a touch of softness and love sprinkled on top…….I’m a former type A personalitie so I attract those who need what I give…..I teach yoga from a place that has healed me, and softened me up.......and....it's my intention, that each student receives what they come for in my classes……no expectations, just do you, and be!!


Plank push ups


Well, I have a FAB weekend planned, two awesome events tonight & tomorrow night, both are sure to include lot’s of chocolate and wine!! I WILL BE HAVING CHOCOLATE & WINE!!! Both nights….YUP I WILL HAVE WINE…….why….because I want to! I’m a true believer in giving the body what it wants in moderation, I gave up wine for just about a month, and I’ve decided I want to have it at times when I want…..I really enjoy not drinking, I feel amazing.....BUT.....wine & chocolate go together like soap and water...Lol....…..and tonight and tomorrow night I will indulge in both!!! Soooo if I run into any of my blog readers at either of these  events......don’t judge me…lol…..instead give me a great big SALUD!!! Lol…..Tomorrow I plan on doing a brick….5 minute run and a spinning class, as well as my personal yoga practice…..

Peace,

Levitate ya mind

T

No comments: